What is a sensor system?
A “sensor” is a device or an equipment which convert signals from one particular energy domain to that of electrical domain. The simple example of a sensor system is an LDR.or light Dependent Resistor. It is such a device where the resistance gets varied according to the intensity of light. Most importantly, this output is in the form of an optical signal or electrical. The main feature of the drone is to make use of sensors for the purpose of detecting changes in the surroundings and thereby enabling you to maneuver better, accumulate critical data or information for inspection purposes.
With reference to altitude sensors for drones, what are the four types of sensors used in the field of drone technology?
We have frequently made use of sensors in our daily life operations. Due to the advancement in the field of drone technology, most companies have taken the initiative to put sensors in their drones for collecting relevant data. This particular data that you collect can be typically used for several purposes. In fact, there are several kinds of sensors that can be used in drones to record different types of changes in temperature, etc.
Here are the main four types of sensors typically used in drone technology and this has been vividly enumerated below: –
- Distance and speed sensors: – With regard to altitude sensors for drones, these sensors have been used to detect the speed of the drone or to measure the distance between another object without physical contact with the object.
- Light pulse distance sensing: – It is a direct measuring method that generally uses a laser diode, emits extremely short. But, powerful beam pulses are reflected by the objects and then get detected again by a light-sensitive receiver. Its advantage lies in its noise immunity, accuracy, and precision.
- Sonar-pulse distance sensing: – UV or ultrasonic waves are being typically sent from the sensor and then again collected back to evaluate the distance of an object from the drone in the pattern of a pulse width of waves. But as it uses sound waves, this method can prove to be irregular if excess noise is present in the environment.
- Magnetic-field change sensing: – These sensors have been used to judge the presence of magnetic objects and also proved to be helpful in determining the position of the drone.
- Thermal and infrared sensors: – With regard to altitude sensors for drones, the potential uses of infrared sensors, especially in cameras are magnificent and it involves rescue and search, pipeline inspection, leak detection, surveillance, etc. All these things primarily depend upon the precision of the sensor.
Infrared is invisible before human eyes but one can easily feel it when the intensity of radiated heat is high. Moreover, a thermal camera can detect areas that are of high temperature. It reveals overheating sections of electrical equipment used in various devices such as substations and switch-gears. A drone can easily help you to detect these sections from the distance and thereby enhance the safety of human personnel. It can also be used for surveillance and night vision.
- Chemical sensors: – A chemical sensor is basically a self-contained device that gets easily attached to a drone and provides you with pertinent information about the chemical composition of the surroundings. Due to changes in the chemical composition of the environment, analyte molecules inside the devices interacts selectively with molecules present in your surrounding. Therefore, a transducer connects with your device and sends you signals when certain changes occur.
- Image sensors:- An image sensor easily detects and conveys information about the sensor system. They are used in cameras that drones carry for acquiring digital images. They have also been used for several purposes such as the formation of multispectral images, thermography, highly sensitive arrays for astronomy, sensor arrays for x-rays, etc.
Key points to be taken away: –
With regard to altitude sensors for drones, there are enormous benefits of using drones in several applications. Drones have offered you a more efficient and environmentally friendly picture compared to traditional delivery vehicles. It has eliminated the amount of manpower and proved to be beneficial for performing tasks that would pose risk to humans.