The recent social research done in north Indian states reflected that 30% of class XII students aim to clear IELTS with 8+ band score and prefer to enrol with a top IELTS institute in Chandigarh to fulfil their study abroad dream. No wonder, IELTS is a trending subject but not many students are aware of what it is and how to ace IELTS. This article will not only apprise you about scoring pattern of IELTS but also share the tips and tricks shared by Western Overseas, the leading IELTS institute in North India to score good in IELTS, PTE or TOEFL.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is an English-language skills test and is calculated in bandscores. Some important aspects to understand about IELTS Score –
- The band scores range from 0 to 9 and each bandscore shows the level of English-language competence innon-native English speakers.
- Anyone taking the test gets a band each for listening,reading, writing and speaking. They also get an overallband score which is the average score of all the skillscombined.
- When it comes to accepting students on band scores,none of the English-speaking countries accepts band 5 asit is considered a low percentage and means the user hasa limited understanding of and command over English.
- The band score of 5 comes in B1 CEFR level, which is notvery impressive.
- A test taker who gets band 5 is considered a modestuser. He/she has partial command of the Englishlanguage and manages most situations, but is likely goingto make mistakes.
- A test taker with band 6 is considered a competent user.They have an effective command over the Englishlanguage but make mistakes and use inaccurate words.They can use and understand fairly complex language.
- A band score of 5.5 in IELTS comes in the B2 CEFR level.Most universities prefer an IELTS band score of 6 andabove, which means the individual score should be above5.5. However, some universities do allow an individualscore of 5.5. Students with 5.5 band can apply in Malta,Poland, Greece. Those with this band have simplevocabulary and are able to clearly communicate.
- A band score of 6.5 in IELTS also comes in the B2 CEFRlevel. This score means the test-taker is competent andwill cope better in a classroom though there may be afew slip-ups. A band score of 6 and above is oftenneeded by foreign universities for accepting students.
- A band score of 7.5 in IELTS comes in C1 CEFR level issomeone who is between a good user and a very gooduser. This score shows the user’s English is good. Withthis score, a student can get admission in top universitiesin the US such as Harvard and Stanford. In the UK, Oxfordand Cambridge universities take students with 7.5 ormore.
- You can score an 8+ band following these tips which are shared by expert counsellors of Western Overseas, North India’s leading IELTS Institute in Chandigarh –
- Read a newspaper daily
- Write a journal. Write 10 new words with meaning everyday
- Watch documentaries and NEWS in English
- Speak in front of the mirror every day for 10 minutes
- Take IELTS Reality Test to assess your progress
Send us any queries you have for IELTS. We will be happy to guide and help you in IELTS preparation